The corner building was constructed ca. 1900 as a grocery store and owner’s residence for Wells Tolson by Everett Cook and Eugene Herbert. The original German siding, now covered by vinyl, was probably salvaged from the Johnstown Flood of 1889. Subsequent grocers were T. Walter White, George Lowe, Philip Grollman, William Lowe and Addison Frampton who was affiliated with the Independent Grocers Association, known then as IGA stores.
The obliquely situated building next door, built in 1865, making it one of the oldest in town, was later connected by a trapezoidal addition. It had also been a grocery store. An 1877 map shows Mrs. Earle as the first owner, then Mrs. Wallis Addison Frampton. One of the first merchants to occupy this store was Charles M. Legg, whose brother-in-law, Magistrate Robert Cook, held court in the corner of the store. Other occupants were Ellis and Henry Grollman, William Brown, Charles Cockey, James Marvel, Alex and Harry Grollman, Blount and Addison Frampton.