Membership / Donate
The Kent Island Heritage Society, Inc. welcomes new members.
The Society is supported entirely through Member dues, donations, proceeds from special events, and grant dollars. Dues and donations are are used solely to further our mission by supporting historic site maintenance and cultural activities/events.
Below are just some of the contributions the Society has made - and continues to make - to our area:
- Sponsors Kent Island Day, designated by the governor in 1977 as the third weekend in May
- Maintains the Cray House, Old Stevensville Train Depot (1902), Stevensville Bank (1906), Stevensville Post Office and Kirwan House and Museum in Chester.
- Identifies historic sites on Kent Island, including those on the Historic Stevensville Walking Tour
- Partners with Queen Anne's County to preserve Historic Christ Church and Rectory
- Adds historical interest to the area, a community feel and beautifies a truly historic "downtown district"
- Provides tours for schools, adult groups, bus groups, and any organization that takes an interest in our area's history
- Provides community service opportunities to Stevensville and Grasonville school districts, helping students meet academic requirements
- Produces a growing collection of audio and video oral histories to preserve reminiscences of persons important to Kent Island's history
- Maintains history and genealogy room in the Kent Island Library
- Partners with Kent Island Garden Club to install educational and attractive plantings, including the herb garden behind the Cray House
- Sponsors annual scholarship to a graduating senior of Kent Island High School
- Sponsors archaeological surveys and digs
- Presents speakers and exhibits of historical interest
- Sponsored erosion control efforts along Kirwan Creek and created a berm to abate run-off from Kirwan farm into Kirwan Creek
- Publishes a quarterly newsletter featuring articles on historic sites in the area, individual reminiscences and activities of the Society
The Society is active and preserving historic sites today!
Tax Deductible Donations
The Kent Island Heritage Society, Inc. is a private, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization; donations to which are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law - if the Kent Island Heritage Society has provided no goods or services to the donor in exchange for these donations
Use the form below to join or make a donation.